• The Press and Journal Young Energy Supplement | Posted: Apr 2017 | Published in P&J Weds 19/04/2017
The Press and Journal produced a Young Energy Supplement packed full of information on apprenticeships, training and guidance aimed at young people looking to work in the energy industry. In case you don’t take the P&J or have already recycled last weeks additions, the newspaper have made the supplement available online. It can be accessed by clicking the link below.
• Foundation Apprenticeships in the North East (NESCOL) | Posted: Mar 2017 | The Powerpoint
2 key events designed to provide pupils and parents with information about NESCOL Apprenticeship opportunities are happening in Aberdeen and Fraserburgh, next week. These events are ideal opportunities for pupils and parents to speak directly with NESCOL curriculum staff about the programme they will follow.
- Tuesday 7th March – Aberdeen City Campus – 6.15pm – 8pm To confirm attendance register using this link https://foundationapprenticeshipsaberdeen.eventbrite.co.uk
- Thursday 9th March – Fraserburgh Campus – 6.15pm – 8pm To confirm attendance register using this linkhttps://foundationapprenticeshipsfraserburgh.eventbrite.co.uk
See a member of the Guidance team or Mr Caddell in A17 for more information about signing up to these free events.
• S 2 -> 3 Parents Information Evening | Posted: Feb 2017 | The Powerpoint presentation from the S 2 -> 3 Parents Information Evening can be found here.
• S 4,5,6 Information Evening | Posted: Jan 2017 | The Powerpoint presentation from the S 4,5,6 presentation evening can be found here, and the YASS modules information leaflet can be found by clicking here.
• Snow Procedures | Posted: Jan 2017 | With the current forecast for adverse weather including snow we attach a reminder of The Gordon Schools snow closure procedure. Snow Procedure Letter.
• Prelim Timetable | Posted: Dec 2016 | When we return to school in January we will be just a short few weeks away from our prelims. If you’re stuck for something to do during the break have a look at the prelim timetable and get a head start on revision.
• Scholar | Posted: Nov 2016 | All Scottish schools have been provided with SCHOLAR passwords to issue to students studying National 5, Highers and Advanced Highers. Click here to find out more.
• Good News | Posted: Nov 2016 | Former pupil Iona Fyfe has been named as 1 of 6 finalists in the BBC Radio Scotland Young Traditional Musician 2017 competition. She will perform in the Final at international traditional music festival Celtic Connections in February 2017. https://projects.handsupfortrad.scot/youngtrad/bbc-radio-scotland-young-traditional-musician-2017-finalists-announced/ Well done Iona and good luck.
• Educational Maintenance Allowance | Posted: Nov 2016 | Is money keeping you back from continuing your learning at school or college?
If you’re 16 to 19 years old you could get £30 a week to help you continue learning, through the Educational Maintenance Allowance programme. The EMA is a Scottish Government fund to support young people from lower income families to continue with their studies. Around 33,000 students in Scotland receive the allowance.
You could be eligible if your family earns up to £24,421 a year – or £26,884 if you have siblings – depending on the course you’re studying or if you are on an Activity Agreement. The payment is based on attendance and on you fulfilling any learning agreement you may have.
If you want to find out if you’re eligible for the allowance speak to our Guidance teacher about how you get an application form. Or find out more at www.emascotland.com.
• School Closure Alerts | Posted: Aug 2016 | Aberdeenshire council has changed the way parents receive online alerts about school closures and changes to school transport. You can now sign up for these notifications through myaccount on the Aberdeenshire Council website – if you currently pay for school meals online, you will already be registered.
myaccount is a simple, secure way of accessing a range of Scottish public services using just one username and password and 13,000 parents across Aberdeenshire are already enjoying the benefits of it.
As well as being able to sign up for alerts, your home page will automatically give you handy information such as your bin collection days, where your nearest recycling centre is and the names of your local councillors.
So, if you want to be kept up-to-date and take advantage of the other myaccount benefits, sign up to the new system by going to the Aberdeenshire Council website and clicking on the red register button in the top right-hand corner.
• Peacemaker Ceilidh | Posted: May 2016 | A ceilidh is being held on Friday 27 May at 7pm in the Gordon Arms tickets available from Deveron Arts or Rizza’s. Proceeds are kindly being donated to TGS. For more information see this poster
• Uniform Letter | Posted: Apr 2016 | Pupils have been issued with school uniform letters and order forms this morning giving information on changes to the uniform stock held by the school.
• S4 Parents’ Meeting – for Staff and Pupils | Posted: Feb 2016 | This evening’s Parents’ Meeting has been postponed. A new date will be advised as soon as we know. Please keep your Appointment sheet and times as we can still use these for the re-scheduled S4 Parents’ Meeting. A text has been sent home to all S4 parents and carers. Notice of the postponement will also be put on the TGS website.
• S2 into S3 Information Evening – Tuesday 2 February | Posted: Feb 2016 | The presentation from Tuesday is available HERE to support you with Personalisation and Choice. The “dummy” choice sheet will be available next week from your daughter/son.
• Senior Phase S3/4/5 into S4/5/6 Information Evening | Posted: Jan 2016 | The school and North East Scotland College presentation from Wednesday 13 January is now available here.
• Bugsy Malone | Posted: Dec 2015 | Photographs from our 2015 school production of Bugsy Malone can now be viewed on our School Show section of the website, here.
•Bugsy Malone Tickets | Posted: Dec 2015 | Bugsy Malone is underway! Tuesday nights performance is sold out but there are still a few tickets left for Wednesday available at reception. Tickets are priced at £7.50 per adult and £5 for concessions. All proceeds from our shows go into the school fund.
• Bugsy Costume | Posted: Oct 2015 | A detailed list of costumes required for the school show can be found HERE. All show pupils are reminded that costume pieces should be brought in a labelled bag by Friday 30th October 2015. We have tried our best to ensure that costumes consist of things that pupils will already have or can be sourced from family and friends. Everyone is responsible for their own costume unless they have been expressly told otherwise by Mrs McGowan or Miss Abercrombie. There is no expectation that parents or guardians should have to buy expensive items, costumes should be either free to source or require only a small cost. If anyone has any spare/extra trench coats or drop waist dresses (or any other 1920’s style clothing) lying around they would be gratefully received. Many thanks!
• 2015 School Show | Posted: Oct 2015 | We are pleased to announce that rehearsals are well underway for this year’s school show Bugsy Malone which will take place on the 7th, 8th and 9th of December 2015. You may have seen our coming soon poster around the local area, a further poster with more information will be released closer to the show.
• Eye Tests | Posted: Sep 2015 | A reminder to parents that all children in Scotland are entitled to an annual free eye exam by a qualified Optometrist. See this letter from Aberdeenshire Council and NHS Grampian for more details.
• Coffee Morning | June 2015 | Saturday 20th June – TGS Coffee Morning at the Stewarts Hall starting at 10.00am. Donations for bottle stall, cake & candy and raffles would be most gratefully received. Please hand into reception as soon as possible.
• Bingo Night | June 2015 | Friday 19th June – Bingo Night at the Ex-servicemans Club, eyes down at 7.30pm. Donations for raffles or prizes please hand into reception as soon as possible. See the poster for more details!
• Pianoman Event | June 2015 |
On the 26th June 2015 renowned performer and piano teacher Richard Meyrick is hosting a piano workshop on our new Steinway in the hall with some of our pupils. Interested pupils, parents and other members of the community are welcome to attend this free event.
• SCILL Anger Management Event | May 2015 | The next SCILL event will be Anger Management, on Thursday 28th May from 7.30pm – 9.30pm at Aboyne-Dinnet church hall, see link for location (http://www.aboyne-dinnet-cromar-churches.org.uk/index.php/contact-us/aboyne-dinnet-map).
Our speaker will be Craig Henderson from the Grampian Autistic Society and he will talk about Anger Management – aimed at parents and professionals who care for children and young people on the autistic spectrum. Areas to be covered will be:
- Behaviour as Communication
- Anxiety and the Autism Spectrum
- Theory of Mind, Imagination, and How They Lead To Frustration
This event is free of charge and refreshments will be provided, but as numbers are limited you need to book a place by replying to this email or by ringing 07913 326816. I have attached a poster giving details so please feel free to share this information with anyone you think may be interested in attending.
• S4/5/6 – Maths | If you have a query or a problem or you want access to past papers or you just want a quiet place to revise Maths during study leave, then pop along to the Maths department during the following times, when a member of staff will be available to help.
Monday, periods 3 & 4
Tuesday, All day
Wednesday, periods 1-4
Thursday, periods 1-4
Friday, periods 1-4
• TGS Citizenship Group Food Bank Collection UPDATE | March 24th, 2015 | A big thank you to all who kindly donated to our collection!
• TGS Citizenship Group Food Bank Collection | March 24th, 2015 | The Citizenship Group at The Gordon Schools are organising a collection of food for the Huntly branch of the Aberdeenshire North Food Bank. The Food Bank provides emergency food and support to local people across the North East.
Frontline care professionals, such as doctors and social workers, are able to help people in crisis by giving them up Food Bank vouchers which are exchanged for 3 days of food at a Food Bank. All food distributed has been donated to the Food Bank.
Each register group is being asked to collect at least 5 items of food per class in the week beginning 23rd March and your support in this venture would be much appreciated. Any type of tinned food would be gratefully received. The important thing is that the food is within date.
Information on the work of the Food Bank can be found at:
Many thanks for your continued support.
• Seafood In Schools Workshop | March 3rd, 2015 | All parents, guardians and siblings are invited to an exciting community event on Wed 11th March from 4:30pm – 6.30pm at TGS. See and experience what your children have learnt about the Scottish seafood industry! Discover new facts, figures and tastes! See the poster for more information.
• TGS PC Citizenship Award 2015 | February 23rd, 2015
Do you know of a young person from The Gordon Schools who you think has made a difference to either their school or to the wider community? If so we would like to hear from you. Deadline for nominations for the Parent Council Citizenship Award is Tuesday 31st March. TGS pupils do great things and these awards are designed to recognise this – we look forward to receiving your nominations. Application forms are available from the school office and, once completed, should be returned there and addressed to: – Mrs Fiona Alderson, Chairman, TGS Parent Council, The Gordon Schools, Huntly, AB54 4SE’
• Students with unconditional offers – Edinburgh University | January 28th, 2015
Please read the following advice which is for all potential university students. Edinburgh Uni-Students with unconditional offers
• Remember to test your login for GLOW just in case we have any disruption due to bad weather.